Intellectuals killing case verdict Sunday

ICT 2 on Thursday fixed the date after it had completed the trials in absentia on September 30 

Photo of war criminal Ashrafuzzaman Khan and Chowdhury Mueen Uddin

The International Crimes Tribunal is set to deliver verdicts on Sunday in cases against fugitive war crimes accused Chowdhury Mueen Uddin and Ashrafuzzaman Khan for their alleged involvement in crimes against humanity during the 1971 Liberation War. ICT 2 on Thursday fixed the date after it had completed the trials in absentia on September 30. The tribunal of Justice ObaidulHasan, Justice Mozibur Rahman Miah and Justice Shahinur Islam had earlier sentenced former Jamaat-e-Islami leader AbulKalam Azad alias BachchuRazakar to death after trying him in absentia. Al-Badr leaders Chowdhury Mueen Uddin and Ashrafuzzaman Khan are accused of involvement with the occupation Pakistan army’s plan to pick up and kill leading Bangalee intellectuals with an aim of crippling the nation at birth. Mueen from Chanpur village under Daganbhuian of Feni and Ashraf from Chhotabhatara under Moksudpur of Gopalganj were active leaders of IslamiChhatraSangha, the then student wing of Jamaat, and students of Dhaka University. Mueen was also a staff reporter of Bangla daily Purbadesh. In 1971, Mueen was in charge of al-Badr’soperations and Ashraf the chief executor of the plan to eliminate intellectuals, according to the prosecution. Mueen and Ashraf, now believed to be in London and New York, were indicted for 11 charges,such as abduction and killing of 18 intellectuals, including Shahidullah Kaiser and Selina Parvin, between December 11 and 15, 1971. The prosecution’s probe report says among the 18 intellectuals, nine were Dhaka University teachers, six journalists and three physicians. The prosecution formally submitted 16 charges against themon April 25under section 3(2) of the International Crimes (Tribunals) Act 1973 for crimes against humanity and peace, genocide, killing members of a group, and rape. On May 11, the tribunal ordered a public announcement in newspapers, asking the two to appear before it within 10 days of the publication. The two, however, did not comply with the tribunal orders published in dailies the next day. On June 24, the tribunal indicted the fugitive duofor 11 charges and began the trial in absentiaon July 15. Twenty-five witnesses have testified against the Ashraf and Mueen. The tribunal also allowed submissions offour deceased witnesses. The state appointed defence lawyers who said despite their repeated attempts to contact the two, they had failed, thus having also failed to get any witness in favour of their clients. Defence counsel Salma Hye Tuni and Abdus Shukur Khan place their.

Source: Dhaka Tribune